Dry Eye and Blepharitis London
Do you have dry eye and blepharitis symptoms?
Dandruff around the eyelids
Fluctuations in vision
Sore, red, inflamed eyelids
Contact lens discomfort
Eyelids that are difficult to open in the morning
Burning or gritty sensation in the eyes
Quality of life
- Chronic dry eye results in a significant drop in QOL – on a par with angina (Schiffman et al 2003)
- Depression and anxiety 1.5 x more prevalent in patients suffering with Blepharitis (Chaing et al 2013)
- Dry eye linked to poor visual performance whilst driving (Deschamps et al 2013)
- Dry eye reduces productivity at work (Yamada et al 2012)
How does the tear film work?
Blinking spreads the tear film across the eye surface.
The aqueous layer and mucus layer create a lubricated environment so the lids aquaplane over the cornea and conjunctiva.
The tear film nourishes the ocular surface.
MEIBOMIAN GLAND PRODUCES LIPID
The lipid layer of tear film is produced in Meibomian glands.
Blinking forces the lipid out onto the ocular surface.
Lipiscan imaging assesses the integrity of the meibomian glands.
TYPES OF DRY EYE
AQUEOUS DEFICIENT -EVAPORATIVE - COMBINATION
Aqueous deficient dry eye, means a lack of the aqueous tear layer.
Evaporative dry eye means the tear film is evaporates too quickly, due to lack of lipid layer.
Many people have a combination of both the above.
Treating Dry Eye and Blepharitis
Cleansing your eyelids daily removes debris, bacteria, oils, inflammatory biofilm that can deposit on the lid margins.
At home- there are many lid wipes that can be bought over the counter to clean along the lid margins.
In clinic- Blephex is employed to exfoliate the lid margins precisely and carefully, using a medical grade micro-sponge.
At home- apply a heated eye mask over closed eyes for 10 minutes, unblocks pores along the lid margin like melting butter in a pan.
Apply firm fingertip pressure along the lid margin to unblock the pores along the lid margin.
In clinic- we offer Lipiflow- Vector thermal pulsation deeply unblocks meibomian glands.
Sharmina will help rationalise the eye drops you use.
Modify Behaviour & Environment
- Reduce prolonged contact lens wear
- Reduce prolonged computer/video display use
- Reduce chronic exposure to low humidity environment
- Blinking matters
- Improve diet- increase omega- 3 and vitamin D intake